Palestinian fighters 'in shootout' with Israeli forces in Nablus

Palestinian fighters 'in shootout' with Israeli forces in Nablus
Palestinian fighters reportedly engaged Israeli security with gunfire in Nablus after a local bureau de change was raided.
2 min read
11 August, 2021
A shootout with Israeli security reportedly occurred in Nablus on Wednesday [ALAA MAREY/AFP/Getty]

Palestinian fighters engaged in a shootout with Israeli security in Nablus, in the occupied West Bank, early on Wednesday.

Video footage, allegedly of the incident, has been shared on social media where loud gunshots can be heard.

The clashes come after Israeli security forces reportedly raided the area, locals informed The New Arab's Arabic-language sister service, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed.

Israeli forces launched a heavy-handed raid on a bureau de change in the occupied city on Wednesday, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed said.

The bureau belongs to Tayel Al-Houari, who said that an Israeli officer contacted his son Tamer, who could not be reached, before dawn.

They subsequently contacted Al-Houari's 11-year-old grandson, saying he had to be at the store to open it up within 15 minutes, Al-Houari added.

Live Story

The Israelis then broke the doors of the office down and wrecked items inside the store.

Al-Houari said he faced a similar incident in his bureau around a decade ago.

He was detained for several days and banned from travelling, although he managed to successfully challenge this through the court system.

Meanwhile, local sources said dozens of Palestinians were injured after Israeli security deployed tear gas in the town of Jaba in the occupied West Bank.

The Israeli forces' presence in the area saw two Palestinian youths - Maad Kanan and Iyad Malaysheh - arrested, Muntasir Samour, Palestinian Prisoners Club Jenin Governorate director, told Al-Araby Al-Jadeed.

Close to the West Bank city of Tulkarm, in the town Deir Al-Ghusun, Israel security gave Lwai Ziyad Abu Zaytoun to a Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance on Tuesday evening.

Abu Zaytoun had been detained just hours prior and was taken by the Red Crescent to a Tulkarm hospital.

The Palestinian was also beaten by Israeli forces, according to Al-Araby Al-Jadeed's reporting.

A sound bomb was also detonated close to him as Israeli security forces stormed Deir Al-Ghusun early on Tuesday.

Abu Zaytoun's was described as being in a "stable" condition by Al-Araby Al-Jadeed.

On Tuesday, 116 settlers raided the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied Jerusalem with Israeli police protection, the Islamic Waqf Department said.