Palestinian fighters in Jenin capture body of Israeli killed in car accident
Palestinian fighters in the Jenin refugee camp continue to withhold the dead body of an Israeli who died in a car accident, early on Tuesday, near Jenin.
According to local sources, the fighters informed Palestinian Authority officials in Jenin that they will not release the body unless Israel releases withheld bodies of killed Palestinians, some of which have been withheld for several years.
"Around 10:00 am, an Israeli car suffered an accident on a settlers' road east of Jenin," Atta Abu Rmeileh, secretary of the Palestinian Fatah faction in the Jenin refugee camp, told The New Arab.
"One of the two passengers in the car was taken by an Israeli ambulance to a hospital in Israel, while the other was so seriously injured that he needed to be taken to the closest hospital," he added.
Last night, 18-year-old Israeli Druze Tiran Fero’s body was kidnapped from a Jenin hospital by Palestinian militants.— Act-IL (@Act_On_) November 23, 2022
This took place right in front of the boy’s father and brother.
DEMAND the return of his body to his grieving family, now! pic.twitter.com/pUEB5b1T64
"A Palestinian Palestinian ambulance brought him o the Ibn Sina hospital in Jenin, where he was pronounced dead shortly after," he detailed. "As the Palestinian officials informed the Israeli liaison office of his death and coordinated his handover, Palestinian fighters in the refugee camp learned about the incident, and they came and took the body from the hospital."
Israeli media reported that efforts were being made through the UN to release the body of the dead Israeli, who was identified as an 18-year-old Tiran Fero, from the Arab Druze community.
Fero's father told Israeli media that his son was connected to ventilators in the hospital when Palestinian fighters entered the hospital and took him away.
Palestinian media reported that Jenin’s governor, Akram Rujoub, was leading the PA's efforts to ensure the release of the body.
Rujoub refused to comment on reports, telling The New Arab’s sister publication Alaraby Al-Jadeed that he will comment on the entire incident only after it is over.
Meanwhile, all educational institutions in Jenin suspended classes as Palestinians in the city and its surrounding area expect an Israeli raid.
Media coverage: "A sad farewell to slain Mahmoud Saadi, 18, who was killed by Israeli military gunfire this morning in Jenin, north of the occupied West Bank". pic.twitter.com/M56pOlb2rt— Quds News Network (@QudsNen) November 21, 2022
"The situation in Jenin is very tense," said Atta Abu Rmeileh.
"The last raid on Jenin was only two days ago, and now people are expecting a new one because of the Israeli body's capture," he added.
The city of Jenin and the refugee camp adjacent to it have been the target of repeated Israeli raids since last year, claiming the lives of more than 40 Palestinians.
On Monday, Israeli forces killed 18-year-old Mahmoud Saadi in a military raid in Jenin and wounded five others.
Israel currently withholds the bodies of some 250 Palestinians killed since 1967, including 105 since 2015.