Yemen rival factions trade blame over 260 ceasefire breaches
Yemen's warring factions on Tuesday accused one another of around 260 breaches of a UN-sponsored ceasefire that began on Saturday.
The truce is set to last for two months and has led to a loosening of a years-long blockade on Yemen by the Saudi-led coalition, which Riyadh says was in place to restrict arms shipments to the Houthi rebels.
Military sources from Yemen's internationally-recognised government said on Tuesday said the Houthis violated the truce 130 times on Monday.
This included flashpoint areas such as Marib and Hodeida - where a key port is located - according to a government-aligned news agency.
The Houthis are accused of launching ground attacks and targeting government soldiers with heavy weapons and artillery, as well as digging trenches, building fortifications, setting up new supply routes, and reinforcing the frontlines.
The army accused the Houthis of 44 breaches in and around the southwestern Taiz province, 28 in Hajjah in the northwest, and 24 in Marib in northern Yemen.
It also claimed the Houthis have transported tanks and rocket launchers to the Marib frontlines, a city that has seen fierce fighting in recent months.
The rebels accused Yemen's authorities of breaching the ceasefire 137 times in just 24 hours, according to their news agency, which cited an unnamed security source.
They said government warplanes were spotted above Dhale Governorate and nearby areas.
The rebels also reported armed government reconnaissance aircraft flying over Yemen 34 times and "a raid" in Al-Waziyah, near Taiz. Other violations were also reported by the Houthis.
The World Bank has approved an additional $300 million needed for aid for the the most vulnerably households in war-torn Yemen https://t.co/yfH387RNgS— The New Arab (@The_NewArab) April 1, 2022
The Yemeni government considers Houthi breaches of the ceasefire as threatening the truce.
Yemen's Shura Council chief, Ahmed Obaid bin Dagher, met with the UK's Yemen envoy, Richard Oppenheim, on Tuesday and urged the UK and the international community to push the Houthis into complying with the ceasefire and resuming peace talks.
Despite the alleged violations, Issam Al-Mutawakel, a spokesperson for the rebels' oil company, said a third ship containing fuel had been given the go-ahead to proceed to Hodeida port after being checked by the United Nations.
An easing of the blockade of Yemen was part of the ceasefire agreement.