UN urges Yemen's warring parties to halt Hodeida clashes
UN's Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths said that both the government and Houthi rebels should stick to an agreement reached earlier this week following days of talks in Sweden between the two sides.
"The special envoy expects the two parties to respect their obligations as per the text and spirit of the Stockholm Agreement and to engage in the immediate implementation of its provisions," Griffiths tweeted.
The UN was working with both sides to ensure the accord on Hodeida reached in Sweden on Thursday were "implemented timely and properly".
It follows fierce clashes and air strikes on the rebel-held Hodeida on Saturday night, despite the UN-brokered ceasefire, leaving at least 29 fighters - including 22 Houthi rebels - killed in Hodeida province.
Seven rebels were captured during an attack on al-Durayhimi, about 20 kilometres (12 miles) south of Hodeida city, a local source told AFP.
Fighters from both sides were supposed to withdraw from the city, which is a key entry point for aid into the country.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres warned Sunday that "much worse" lay in store for Yemen in 2019 unless the peace deal is implemented.
A high number of Yemenis have been dying in "very dramatic circumstances" as a result of food shortages, he added.
"The fact that famine was not yet declared does not in any way diminish our huge concern with a very high level of hunger that exists in Yemen" and "people dying in very dramatic circumstances", said Guterres.
"Without peace, we will be facing in 2019 a much worse situation than today."