UK bans entry for Israeli settlers behind attacks on Palestinians
British Foreign Secretary David Cameron said on Thursday that those responsible for settler violence against Palestinians would be banned from entering Britain, following a similar plan by the European Union.
UN figures show daily settler attacks in the Israeli-occupied West Bank have more than doubled since the October 7 attack on Israel.
"Extremist settlers, by targeting and killing Palestinian civilians, are undermining security and stability for both Israelis and Palestinians," Cameron said on social media site X, formerly known as Twitter.
"Israel must take stronger action to stop settler violence and hold the perpetrators accountable. We are banning those responsible for settler violence from entering the UK to make sure our country cannot be a home for people who commit these intimidating acts."
Extremist settlers, by targeting and killing Palestinian civilians, are undermining security and stability for both Israelis and Palestinians.— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) December 14, 2023
Israel must take stronger action to stop settler violence and hold the perpetrators accountable.
We are banning those responsible for…
On Monday, foreign office minister Andrew Mitchell told parliament that Cameron had discussed the issue of travel bans with his US counterpart last week.
While much international attention has focused on Israel's war in Gaza, European officials have also expressed increasing concern about rising violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.
Earlier this week European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said he would propose sanctions against Jewish settlers responsible for violence against Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
Borrell did not say what the sanctions would entail but EU officials have said they would involve bans on travel to the EU.
Over 86 Palestinian journalists have been killed in the ongoing Israeli military campaign in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 7.— The New Arab (@The_NewArab) December 12, 2023
The latest fatality was Mohamed Abu Samra, who was killed in an Israeli attack on Sunday.
A statement ‘For Our Collogues’ was signed on Monday by +1500… pic.twitter.com/kou0eNP5Uv
The settlements are one of the most contentious issues of the decades-long Israeli occupation. They are built on land captured by Israel in the 1967 War but which the Palestinians seek for a future independent state.
They are deemed illegal by most countries but have consistently expanded over the years.