Tunisia tennis star Ons Jabeur pulls out of Doha, Dubai tournaments for surgery
Tunisian tennis star Ons Jabeur said on Wednesday she was heartbroken to have to miss tournaments in the Middle East later this month as she will undergo minor surgery.
The world number three apologised to fans in the region, saying she would not be able to play at the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) events beginning in Doha on 13 February and Dubai on 19 February.
"To take care of my health situation… my medical team have decided that I need to get a minor surgery in order to be able to be back on the courts and perform well," Jabeur said on social media.
"I will have to retire from Doha and Dubai, and this is breaking my heart… I would like to say sorry to all the fans out there in the Middle East that waited for this reunion. I promise I will come back to you stronger and healthy," she added.
Jabeur, who has recently been carrying a knee injury, had already withdrawn from a tournament in Abu Dhabi that began Sunday.
Ons Jabeur has soared through the WTA rankings over the past couple of seasons, making the top 10 by the end of 2021.
The 28-year-old became the first Arab and African woman to reach a slam final last year, a feat she achieved at both Wimbledon and the US Open.
Jabeur said last month that she is aiming to become the highest-ranked player in the world in 2023 and "not lose any more finals" after her year of unprecedented success.
She has had her share of fitness scares however, with injuries sustained in June and in August seeing her skip tournaments.