Tourists to sue Egypt hotel, where British couple died

Tourists to sue Egypt hotel, where British couple died
Around 20 holidaymakers who said they felt unwell after staying in an Egyptian resort where two British tourists died, said they are the hotel company to court.
2 min read
25 August, 2018
The Coopers died on Tuesday under unexplained circumstances [Facebook]

At least 20 tourists will take legal action against an Egyptian resort where a British couple died under unexplained circumstances this week, after others complained they felt ill during their stay at the hotel.

Travel company Thomas Cook said on Friday they were pulling guests out of the Steinburger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada on Saturday, in the Sinai, following the deaths of John and Susan Cooper on Tuesday.

Holidaymakers returned to the UK on Saturday, while some chose to relocate to other Red Sea resorts.

Reports of other people falling ill, which some claimed was due to "undercooked food" and "hygiene", at the hotel have been reported in UK media.

Nick Harris, a partner at law firm Simpson Millar, told Sky News that at least 20 people are bringing claims against the Steinburger Aqua Magic Hotel.

"The food, the temperatures of the food, things like that. It seems to be the same complaints coming back time and time again," he said.

The quick and unexpected demise of the Coopers has led their family members to claim "suspicious" circumstances behind their deaths.

"They had no illness, no stomach upset, no vomiting, no illness whatsoever - they were in perfect health when they went to bed," the couple's daughter Kelly Ormerod told Sky News.

"I believe something suspicious has gone on... something has happened in that room and caused them to be taken away from us."

British media suggested that the Lancashire couple could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning as they slept in their rooms.

Egypt's government sent engineers to the hotel, who said they could find no trace of a gas leak.

"They examined and carefully checked all devices present in the room, especially the air conditioning," Egypt's public prosecutor said.

"The committee (of experts) documented in its report that all the appliances were safe and that no leakages or any poisonous or dangerous gases were present."

A security official claimed John died "of a heart attack", while Susan from a "halt of blood circulation and her respiratory functions".

The hotel told AFP there were "no indications to support allegations of an increased incidence of illness".

Egypt's tourism industry has been hit hard by militancy in the Sinai region and unrest elsewhere.

A bomb is thought to be responsible for the 2015 downing of a Russian plane in the Sinai, which killed all 224 people on board, leading to further economic woes for Egypt.

Agencies contibuted to this story.