Syrian regime announces surprise easing of Aleppo assault
Syria's military on Wednesday announced a surprise reduction in bombardment of rebel groups in devastated Aleppo, nearly two weeks after declaring an all-out assault to capture the city.
Aleppo city was once Syria's thriving commercial hub, but it now lies divided between rebels in the east and regime forces in the west.
Syria's government announced a large-scale offensive to capture the whole city on September 22, ushering in a ferocious bombing campaign on opposition-held quarters.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 270 people, including 53 children, had been killed in air raids on the eastern districts since the assault began.
But on Wednesday, Syria's military said it would reduce the bombardment "after the success of our armed forces in Aleppo and cutting off all terrorist supply routes into the eastern districts".
"The military command has decided to reduce the number of airstrikes and artillery on terrorist positions to allow civilians that want to leave to reach safe areas," the statement carried by the regime’s news agency SANA said.
It was not immediately clear what was behind the move, or if Russian airstrikes would also be reduced.
|[Click image to enlarge]|
Forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad have been waging their offensive in the city centre, the northern outskirts, and the southern edges of Aleppo with the backing of Russian air power.
But the onslaught has come under fierce international scrutiny amid accusations the joint airstrikes were destroying the east's civilian infrastructure.
On Monday, bombardment destroyed the largest hospital in rebel-held quarters, where an estimated 250,000 people live under government siege.
Hours later, the US announced it would suspend bilateral efforts with Moscow at reviving a ceasefire, accusing Russia of trying to bomb Syrian civilians "into submission".
The city's eastern half was officially declared a "besieged area" by the United Nations on Wednesday, after months of fierce fighting and lack of access for aid workers.
The designation would bring the estimated number of besieged people across Syria to over 850,000, according to UN figures.
The United Nations on Wednesday also concluded that an airstrike was responsible for the devastating attack on an aid convoy in northern Syria last month that killed nearly 20 people.
Lars Bromley, a researcher at the UN's satellite collection and analysis agency, said his group's analysis "determined it was an airstrike".
US officials have said Russian planes carried out the airstrikes on September 19 that hit the 31-truck convoy bringing aid to a town west of Aleppo.
Moscow has denied the accusation, and the Russian military is carrying out its own investigation of the bombing, which destroyed 18 trucks and damaged a warehouse.
Russia and the US back opposing sides of Syria's war, with Washington lending support to some rebel groups and Moscow bolstering Assad both militarily and diplomatically.
Both countries are waging separate bombing campaigns against jihadist groups in Syria.
On Wednesday, unidentified raids on a northern village held by the Islamic State group killed 19 civilians including three children, according to the Observatory.
The monitor said it was unclear whether the strike on the village of Thalthana was carried out by the US-led coalition fighting IS, or Turkey, which is leading an operation against IS territory nearby.