Sudanese protesters vow to continue civil disobedience 'until fall of military council of murderers'
The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), the body that led protests against ousted leader Omar al-Bashir, said protesters will continue their resistance until "the council of murderers" is toppled.
"Successful civil disobedience… is a public declaration of complete refusal of the coup-leading military council and its criminal militias, which are still carrying out its gratuitous vile murder work," the SPA said in a statement published on its Facebook page.
The opposition group condemned the military council's "premeditated" attacks targeting civilians and mourners at funerals, and urged Sudanese civilians to uphold strike action and remain in the streets.
Sudanese protesters on Sunday launched a civil disobedience campaign and general strike in an effort to force the ruling military junta to cease the violence and hand over power to civilians.
The civil disobedience campaign was launched after a week of deadly violence in the capital Khartoum.
Paramilitary and security forces on Monday stormed a 58-day-long peaceful sit-in, reportedly beating and shooting at unarmed protesters, raping doctors and throwing tens of dead bodies into the river Nile.
At least 118 people were killed and hundreds injured in the massacre and ongoing crackdown, according to the Central Committee for Sudanese Doctors (CCSD).
Activists have reported arrests and beatings of opposition activists as paramilitary militias roam the streets, dismantling barricades set up by demonstrators to shield their neighbourhoods from more violence.
Eight Khartoum hospitals have also been forced to shut their doors due to harassment and the looting of medical supplies, the Central Committee for Sudanese Doctors (CCSD) said on Sunday, adding that an additional three public hospitals had been partially closed.
Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab