Stockholm car-ramming suspect arrested, four dead

Stockholm car-ramming suspect arrested, four dead
Stockholm police say that a man fitting the description of their most wanted suspect was arrested this evening. Four people were killed after a van drove into a crowd.
2 min read
07 April, 2017
Swedish police announced on Friday evening that they had arrested a man in connection with the killing of four people in a truck-ramming attack today.

The main suspect, who has not yet been named and has admitted responsibility, is a 39-year old man from Uzbekistan, the Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, reports. 

The man was arrested at Märsta railway station and had posted a number of videos in support of Islamic State on his Facebook page.

A truck crashed into the front window of the Ahlens department store on Drottninggatan (Queen Street) at around 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT).

The police launched a citywide manhunt after the attack and urged the general public not to post any rumours on social media.

"We will do everything in our power so those behind this are held responsible," said national police chief, Dan Eliasson.

The attack is being treated as a terrorist attack according to an announcement by the Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven.

The main suspect
Click to enlarge: A picture of the main
suspect [Source: Stockholm police]

"Sweden has been attacked. Everything points to a terror attack," said the leader.
Immediately after the attack, Swedish broadcaster SVT said shots had been fired while footage showed people fleeing the scene.

"Police received a call from SOS Alarm that a person in a vehicle has injured other people on Drottninggatan," police wrote on Twitter. 

Witness Jan Granroth told local daily news outlet Aftonbladet "we stood inside a shoe store and heard something ... and then people started to scream. I looked out of the store and saw a big truck."

Video images showed an area of Stockholm sealed off by police and crowds gathering around the cordon.

Helicopters were hovering in the sky over central Stockholm, and a large number of police cars and ambulances were dispatched to the scene, according to witness reports.

It was not immediately clear whether it was an accident or an attack.

Agencies contributed to this report