Seven Palestinian journalists shot by Israeli troops during Gaza protests

Seven Palestinian journalists shot by Israeli troops during Gaza protests
Among the hundreds of Palestinians injured by Israeli gunfire during Monday's protests at the Gaza border were seven journalists, the Committee to Protect Journalists has said.
2 min read
15 May, 2018
The dead included eight children under the age of 16 [Getty]

At least seven Palestinian journalists have been injured while covering Monday's protests in Gaza against the US embassy opening in Jerusalem, the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Israeli forces shot dead 59 Palestinians on the Gaza border Monday in the bloodiest day in the besieged territory since 2014.

The protests coincided with the deeply controversial opening of the US embassy in the contested capital of Jerusalem.

Tens of thousands had gathered near the border in protest while smaller numbers of Palestinians approached the fence with Israeli snipers firing on the crowds.

As the inauguration ceremony went ahead in Jerusalem with a White House delegation, Israeli forces continued their brutal suppression of the demonstrations, wounding over 2,400 Palestinians.

The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate and CPJ documented the following journalists among those wounded:

  1. Omar Hamdan, a cameraperson for state-owned Algerian Television
  2. Mohammed Abu Dahrouj, cameraperson for media production company Zain Media
  3. Abdullah al-Shorbagi, reporter for a local Khan Younis Media Network
  4. Farhan Hashem Abu Hadayd, reporter for local news website Safad Press
  5. Yasser Qudeih, freelance photographer for Gaza-based daily Palestine
  6. Nihad Fuad, reporter for community radio station Forsan al-Erada
  7. Wael Dahdouh, reporter for Al-Jazeera

In addition to the seven journalists injured by direct fire, Mohammed al-Duwaik - a cameraperson for local news agency Itehad Press - was also injured by shrapnel from an explosive device.

Since protests began on March 30, CPJ documented the injury of 22 journalists, two of whom - Yaser Murtaja and Ahmed Abu Hussein - later died from their injuries.