Seven people killed as Iraqi security forces attack protest sites after 'government agreement'

Seven people killed as Iraqi security forces attack protest sites after 'government agreement'
Seven protesters were killed on Saturday in Iraq as security forces attacked protest sites in Baghdad and Basra following an agreement by political leaders to support Prime Minister Abdel Mahdi.
4 min read
09 November, 2019
Protesters were killed and injured by security forces [Getty]
Seven protesters were killed on Saturday in Iraq as security forces cleared protest sites in Baghdad and Basra after political leaders agreed to stand by the embattled government by any means.

The leaders, sources told AFP, also agreed to put an end to protest rallies which have shaken Iraq's capital and its south since October 1 and demanded a complete overhaul of the political system.

The crackdown began in the morning when security forces wrested back control from demonstrators of three bridges spanning the River Tigris in Baghdad.

Iraqi forces then moved towards Tahrir Square, the focal point of anti-corruption protests in the capital, firing live rounds and tear gas.

Three demonstrators died from bullet wounds and a fourth when a tear gas canister pierced his skull, medics and police sources told AFP.

Iraqi security forces have been using deadly military-grade tear gas grenades which have inflicted gruesome wounds on protesters.

"The security forces are getting closer to us, but the protesters are trying to hold them off by burning tires," a doctor in Tahrir told AFP.

"We can hear live fire now and there are so many wounded."

Read more: Why are people protesting in Iraq?

Three more protesters were killed and dozens wounded in the southern city of Basra, medical sources said, as security forces cleared a protest camp outside the provincial government headquarters.

Security forces also rounded up demonstrators in Basra.

And in the Shia Muslim holy city of Karbala, south of Baghdad, the tents of protesters were reduced to ashes when security forces fired searing hot tear gas canisters at them.

Ending protests by ‘any means possible’

The bloodshed came after political leaders agreed to rally around Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi, whose embattled government was threatened by the largest grassroots protests in Iraq in decades.

Abdel Mahdi, 77, came to power last year through a shaky alliance between populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and Hadi al-Ameri, a leader of the Hashed al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilisation) paramilitary network.

When the protests first erupted in October, Sadr threw his weight behind them while the Hashed backed the government.

But they closed rank around the premier this week after a series of meetings led by Major General Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard's foreign operations arm.

Soleimani, who often plays a mediating role during times of crisis in Iraq, met Sadr and persuaded him to return to the fold, said a source present at the meetings.

"Those meetings resulted in an agreement that Abdel Mahdi would remain in office," the source said.

Sadr has since gone silent amid reports he is in Iran. Anti-government protesters have chanted slogans against Iran, which has supplied deadly tear gas grenades to the Iraqi government, according to Amnesty International,

The source also told AFP Soleimani met Mohammed Ridha Sistani, the son of Iraq's top Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani.

But on Saturday Sistani's office issued a statement denying that cleric "was part of a deal for the current government to stay and the protests to end".

Another source said political factions agreed this week to move forward on reforms and constitutional amendments if the premier and government stayed in place.

"They agreed to end the protests with any means possible and to reopen the bridges and shuttered streets," said a senior member of a party represented at the gathering.

Abdel Mahdi met President Barham Saleh on Saturday for the first time in days. Government sources had told AFP ties between them had been cut off after Saleh proposed that the premier be replaced.

And on Saturday parliament convened to discuss reform proposals, including hiring drives and increased welfare payouts.

Protesters still determined

Meanwhile, the streets around Tahrir were in chaos.

"The security forces told us the protests are over and everyone should go home," one protester shouted.

"But we put up more barricades so they won't enter Tahrir. Tomorrow, no one goes to work."

Protesters are now on the backfoot but still occupy part of Al-Jumhuriyah (Republic) Bridge, the closest to Tahrir.

"Our situation as protesters is not good, but we'll stay until we find a solution," said another protester.

Oil-rich Iraq is OPEC's second biggest producer, but one in five people live in poverty and youth unemployment stands at 25 percent, the World Bank says. The country is also the twelfth most corrupt in the world, according to Transparency International.

Officials have stolen billions of dollars of public funds since 2003.

Those staggering rates sparked the first wave of protests on October 1. Protesters say the current political system allows parties to dole out government jobs based on affiliation and bribes, leaving anyone without connections unemployed and powerless in a country with a weak private sector.

They are demanding genuine reforms and constitutional amendments.

Around 300 people have been killed in the protests, according to a toll compiled by AFP. The government has stopped issuing figures.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay connected!