Israeli wounded in Jerusalem bus stop bombings dies

Israeli wounded in Jerusalem bus stop bombings dies
An Israeli wounded in twin Jerusalem bus stop explosions has lost his life. The attack which happened on Wednesday has not been claimed by any group.
2 min read
26 November, 2022
Two separate explosions that took place near the bus stop on November 23, 2022.(Photo by Mostafa Alkharouf/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

An Israeli wounded in rare bombings to hit Jerusalem earlier this week died Saturday, the hospital treating him announced.

Jerusalem's Shaare Zedek hospital announced the death of Tadesa Teshuma "who was fatally wounded in an attack at the entrance to Jerusalem."

A 15-year-old Israeli-Canadian was also killed in Wednesday's twin blasts, which hit bus stops frequented by ultra-Orthodox Jews at the city's western exit.

Thirteen others were wounded, medics said, in the first bombings to hit the contested city since 2016 according to Israel's Shin Bet domestic security agency.

According to a security source, the explosives were detonated remotely, and no group has claimed the attacks.

The bombings come amid a spike in tensions, which has claimed the lives of six Israelis and 14 Palestinians this month across Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank.

Israeli security forces remain on high alert and on Saturday police briefly closed a main road in Jerusalem, not far from the site of the bombings, due to a suspicious package. The incident turned out to be a false alarm, police said.

During the second intifada, or uprising, in the early 2000s, Palestinian militants repeatedly planted bombs at urban bus stops, including in Jerusalem.

Much of the recent tension has centred on the West Bank, where more than 125 Palestinians have been killed this year.

Live Story

At least 26 Israelis have also been killed in attacks across Israel and the Palestinian territories.

The dead have included Israeli troops, Palestinian militants and civilians on both sides including multiple children.

Earlier this year, 49 Gazans were killed in a three-day Israeli attack on Gaza.