Israeli forces injure dozens of Palestinians in Beita, south of Nablus
Israeli forces injured on Sunday at least 30 Palestinians during a military raid into the Palestinian village of Beita, south of Nablus.
On Sunday, Israeli forces raided Beita at dawn, provoking confrontations with local youth. Dozens of Palestinians were treated for asphyxiation due to tear gas.
lsraeli occupation forces invade dozens of Palestinian houses in Beita village last night. pic.twitter.com/faY3lH9mTi— TIMES OF GAZA (@Timesofgaza) September 16, 2023
“Israeli forces searched several houses after violently breaking into them, on both occasions”, Wahaj Bani Moufleh, photographer and resident of Nablus, told The New Arab.
“Young men in the village confronted occupation soldiers with stones throughout the raid, and many were injured, mostly asphyxiated with tear gas.
The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said in a statement that its teams treated at least 30 people on Sunday with injuries from inhaling gas asphyxiation.
Locals posted on social media that Israeli forces confiscated security cameras from the village.
Israeli forces sealed all entrances to Beita since Friday, restricting movement in and out of the village.
Beita has been the centre of Israeli raids since 2021, as villagers started an ongoing protest campaign against an Israeli settlement outpost on Mount Sabih, on the lands of Beita.
In February, Israeli security minister Ben Gvir led a march by Israeli settlers to the settlement outpost on Mount Sabih in Beita, following the Israeli settlers’ attack on the neighbouring town of Hawara.
Israeli raids on Palestinian villages, cities, and refugee camps have escalated since last year, killing more than 200 Palestinians since the beginning of 2023.
Since 2021, Israeli forces have killed ten Palestinians during the village’s protests against settlement expansion on their lands, and wounded and arrested hundreds more.