Israel shoots Palestinian farmers planting trees in occupied Nablus

Israel shoots Palestinian farmers planting trees in occupied Nablus
Three Palestinians have been injured with one in serious condition after Israel attacked them with tear gas and live ammunition.
2 min read
17 November, 2018
Israeli soldiers torment Palestinians [Getty]

Occupying Israeli forces attacked three Palestinians as they planted a tree on their land in Nablus that Israel is threatening to confiscate.

A joint initiative by the Fatah movement, the Wall and Settlements Resistance Commission and the Palestinian Authority’s agricultural department in Nablus called for the planting of trees in Urif village, which is being threatened with confiscation by Israel.

Just before the Palestinians began planting their trees, Israeli soldiers attacked them by firing at them with live bullets, rubber-coated metal rounds and tear gas causing suffocations and bullet-related injuries, according to Ghassa Daghlas, from the Wall and Settlements Resistance Commission. 

Palestinian medical sources say three Palestinians were injured from the Israeli bullets, with one reported to be in serious condition at hospital. 

Others were treated for rubber bullet wounds and for tear gas inhalation and suffocation.

51 years of illegal occupation

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967. More than 600,000 Israeli Jews live in settlements in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, in constructions considered illegal under international law.

Israeli forces and settlers routinely harass Palestinians in the occupied territories.

Last week a Palestinian man who Israeli forces shot with live ammunition in October was pronounced dead.

Mohammed Shreyteh, 28, had been shot in the head during peaceful protests on 26 October in the occupied West Bank.

During those clashes another Palestinian, Othman Ladawda, 33, was killed, the health ministry in the West Bank said at the time.

He was hit with live ammunition, with the bullet piercing organs in his lower abdomen, the ministry said.

At the time, witnesses said the Israeli forces fired tear gas and live ammunition at Palestinians after they protested and threw stones at settlers visiting a site near the village of Al-Mazraa al-Gharbiya.