Skip to main content

As Israel continues its 'crimes' in WB, Gaza remains silent

As Israel continues its 'crimes' in occupied West Bank, Gaza remains quiet for now
MENA
3 min read
09 August, 2023
While the Israeli occupation forces have been continuing their violations and crimes against the Palestinians in the West Bank and Jerusalem, the armed factions keep Gaza under a state of quiet so far. 

Various armed Palestinian resistance groups condemned the "new Israeli crime" against what they described as "local fighter heroes who defend their land and people against the fascist enemy." [Getty]

While the Israeli occupation forces have continued their violations against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem, armed factions in the besieged Gaza Strip have remained silent. 

On Sunday, 6 August, Israeli forces killed three Palestinians in the town of Arraba, south of Jenin, in the occupied West Bank. 

The Israeli forces allegedly infiltrated the southwest of Jenin, between the towns of Arraba and Qabatiya, using civilian cars as shields while ambushing the car with live fire, killing the three Palestinian men. 

Various armed Palestinian resistance groups condemned the "new Israeli crime" against what they described as "local fighter heroes who defend their land and people against the fascist enemy."

Hazem Qassem, spokesperson of Hamas, an Islamist group ruling Gaza, said in a press statement sent to The New Arab, "The enemy insists on continuing its escalation and  aggression against our people."

"The occupation will not escape paying the price for its crimes. Our Palestinian people and their courageous resistance will not allow the occupation's aggression to pass without paying the price," the statement added. 

MENA
Live Story

Meanwhile, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the second armed Islamist power in Gaza, vowed "the continuation of this glorious uprising and the great revolution."

"The will of our people is solid and will not be broken by the occupation's crimes," the PIJ stressed. 

Both Hamas and the PIJ pledged to hold Israel to account if it does not stop its violations. Israel threatened to attack Gaza if the armed factions launched rockets into its cities. 

However, according to Hussan al-Dajani, a Gaza-based political analyst, the threats exchanged between Israel and the Palestinian resistance in the Gaza Strip will likely not transform into direct war. 

Speaking to TNA, al-Dajani said, "The political wisdom and experience possessed by the factions requires restraint, especially in the Gaza Strip, given that the resistance there is linked to the firing of missiles and rockets at Tel Aviv."

"Engaging in such a confrontation serves the interest of Benjamin Netanyahu and his government at this difficult time when Tel Aviv is witnessing strong marches and demonstrations against the 'judicial coup' led by Netanyahu," he added. 

The Palestinian analyst believes that the national interest requires factions to leave the Israeli arena alone and not give Netanyahu any reason that can distract his internal crises towards Hamas.

Ayman Al-Raqab, a Ramallah-based political analyst, also shared Dajani's opinion. "There will be no reaction from the resistance in the Strip in one way or another, and talk about the possibility of firing missiles and rockets from the Strip towards Tel Aviv is completely out of the question at all levels," he said to TNA.

"Israel is not preparing for rockets from the Gaza Strip, or for an attack on the Strip at present but rather is preparing for an attack on the West Bank, specifically on the city of Jenin again, without talking about any reaction from the resistance in Gaza or Lebanon," he added.