Gaza's Jabalia camp struck by Israel for second time in less than 24 hours
The densely populated Jabalia camp in northern Gaza was struck by Israeli jets for a second time on Wednesday, hours after a massacre on Tuesday killed and wounded hundreds of civilians.
Initial reports said several houses were destroyed in Wednesday's airstrikes, but it was not immediately clear how many people died.
Israel reportedly dropped leaflets over Jabalia, warning residents that their time to leave was "soon over" before striking the residential neighbourhood for the second time.
Another Massacre in Jabalia !— Younis Tirawi | يونس (@ytirawi) November 1, 2023
Israeli warplanes carpet bombed another neighborhood. 9 houses straight in the vicinity of Altauba mosque. Tens of killed on the scene.
Lord, have mercy! pic.twitter.com/4ufCPQdiZe
Jabalia RC |— Younis Tirawi | يونس (@ytirawi) November 1, 2023
Israeli military throw pamphlets over the refugee camp, saying that the opportunity to leave will end very soon & that Hamas will inevitably be destroyed.
Then saying: “Provide us with information about the captives and we will give you a huge money reward” pic.twitter.com/RIGkZlc5re
Around 400 people are believed to be dead and wounded from Tuesday's attack on Jabalia, in what the health ministry has called "a heinous Israeli massacre".
Initial reports from authorities in Gaza said at least 50 people died in Israeli airstrikes on the camp, but later estimates said the death toll was 100 and counting.
The Indonesian Hospital in Gaza reportedly received hundreds of casualties, mostly women and children, following the strike on one of the world's most densely populated areas.
Scenes of widespread destruction could be seen in photos and videos shared on social media and broadcast on media outlets, including two massive craters.
هذا ما قاله مدير مشفى في غزة عن مجزرة جباليا :— مُضَر | Modar (@ivarmm) October 31, 2023
- نوعية الإصابات التي نراها لم نشهدها من قبل ولا ندري نوعية السلاح المستخدم، عدد من الضحايا بترت أطرافهم
- نحو 6 انفجارات متتالية دكت المخيم المكتظ بالسكان
- 400 شهيد وجريح وغالبية الضحايا أطفال ونساء pic.twitter.com/Kg4iEZhJLX
Dozens of civilians remained stuck under the rubble of destroyed buildings, Gaza’s interior ministry said, noting that Israeli aircraft dropped at least six bombs on the neighbourhood, each weighing around 1,000 kilogrammes.
Jabalia is one of the most crowded parts of the Palestinian enclave, the government’s media office said, adding that at least 20 buildings were destroyed in the air raids.
Many Palestinians displaced from Israel's bombardment in other parts of the Gaza Strip were sheltering in Jabalia at the time the camp was targeted.
Gaza’s health ministry compared the attack to a massacre at the Baptist Hospital - also known as the Al-Ahli Arab Hospital - earlier this month in Gaza City when nearly 500 people died.
Jordan condemned the Jabalia strike, saying it held Israel responsible "for this dangerous development."
Israel did not immediately comment on the strikes or the reported toll in Jabalia but had said it was targeting a Hamas commander.
Tuesday’s attack comes as Israeli ground forces try to push deeper into the Gaza Strip from the north, amid fierce clashes with Hamas fighters.
More than 8,500 Palestinians – most of them women and children - have been killed by Israel’s indiscriminate bombing of the Gaza Strip since 7 October.