This live blog has now concluded. Follow the New Arab for more updates regarding the situation in Nablus and the occupied West Bank as Israel continues its deadly raids on Palestinian towns and cities.
Eleven Palestinians killed, 102 injured in Israeli attack on Nablus
At least 11 Palestinians have been killed and 102 injured after Israeli troops stormed the city of Nablus in the northern West Bank on Wednesday, the Palestinian health ministry said on its official Facebook page.
The fatalities included 72-year-old Adnan Baarah and 16-year-old Mohammed Shaaban, the ministry said, adding that at least six of those injured were in critical condition.
Israeli occupation forces entered Nablus early in the morning from the Huwarra military checkpoint and attacked the Al-Souq Al-Sharqi area.
The Palestinian armed group Islamic Jihad said two of its commanders in Nablus and other fighters had been encircled in a house by Israeli forces.
The troops surrounded the house leading to intense fighting between the two sides. Israeli forces then launched an anti-tank shell at the house, resulting in a huge explosion, according to sources.
Israel welcomed an extreme-right-wing government to power last November, which has seen Israeli violence in the region intensify, with at least 50 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in 2023 alone.
Nablus had emerged as one of the main centres of resistance against Israeli occupation. The Lions' Den group, which is unaffiliated with established Palestinian armed groups, was formed last year to resist Israeli incursions.
Eyewitnesses describe terrifying moments of Nablus massacre
"Residents threw all sorts of things on them, from chairs to garbage cans to vegetables, as a simple way to alleviate the sense of incapacity and humiliation," said one Nablus resident.
Eyewitnesses have described the terrifying moments when they saw Israeli forces massacre 10 Palestinians in Nablus. Read more here:
Tens of thousands of Palestinians attend funeral of Nablus massacre victims
An estimated 30,000 Palestinians took part in the funerals of the 10 victims of the Israeli massacre in the West Bank city of Nablus. The mourners chanted angry slogans while Palestinian fighters fired into the air. The procession began at the Al-Rafidia Hospital in the city, where the victims were taken following the massacre.
Nablus, West Bank— Younis | يونس (@ytirawi) February 22, 2023
Thousands participating at the mass funeral of the ten Palestinians killed in Nablus massacre. pic.twitter.com/hgiU4hWh1S
Arab League condemn Israeli attack on Nablus
The Arab League said the Israeli attack in Nablus amounted to a "heinous crime", according to AFP.
The 22-member league held "the occupation" responsible for the attack, which killed at least 10 Palestinians and injured over 100 others.
"The occupation authorities and the far-right Israeli government are responsible for this horrible massacre," said Saeed Abu Ali, the Arab League's assistant secretary-general for Palestinian affairs.
Palestinian official describes Israeli forces' Nablus attack as 'massacre'
Top Palestinian official Hussein Al-Sheikh has decried the Israeli incursion of Nablus as a "massacre", according to AFP.
Al-Sheikh has called for "international protection for our people" following the attack, which has claimed at least 10 lives.
The death toll is equal to that of an Israeli army raid last month in Jenin, further north, which was the deadliest West Bank operation since at least 2005.
The Palestinian health ministry said those killed "as a result of the occupation's aggression on Nablus" were aged between 16 and 72.
Palestinian armed groups call on civilians with weapons to engage in 'battle' against Israeli forces
The Palestinian Lions’ Den and Nablus Balata Brigade groups have called on Palestinians to engage in “a battle” against Israeli forces.
The groups directed the call in a statement to “everyone who carries weapons in the city, villages and towns of Nablus” in a press statement, after Israeli forces stormed the Al-Souq Al-Sharqi area of the province, The New Arab’s Arabic language service Al-Araby Al-Jadeed reported.
The Lions' Den group, which is unaffiliated with established Palestinian armed groups, was formed last year to resist Israeli incursions.
The Nablus Balata Brigade, in the West Bank’s Balata refugee camp, is also a group which has proclaimed readiness to fight against the Israeli occupation, according to news website Al-Monitor.
Three journalists among those injured by Israeli forces
Three journalists were among those injured by gunshots and tear gas fired by Israeli forces in Nablus.
The New Arab's Arabic-language service Al Araby Al Jadeed identified them as Amir Istitiyeh, who was shot in the ear, Muhammad Al-Khatib, who was shot in the hand, and Ahmed Khalaf, who suffered injuries resulting from tear gas inhalation.
Ten Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Nablus
The Palestinian health ministry updated the death toll, saying 10 Palestinians have been killed.
It released a list of the "martyrs" in a post on its official Facebook page.
They were identified as:
Muhammad Farid Shaaban, 16
Jaser Jameel Abdul Wahab Kaneer, 23
Muhammad Abdel Fattah Abdul Ghani, 23
Walid Riyad Hussein Dakhil, 23
Hossam Bassam Aslim, 24
Muhammad Khaled Anbousi, 25
Mosaab Mounir Muhammad Awais, 26
Tamer Nimr Ahmed Minawi, 33
Abdul Hadi Abdul Aziz Ashqar, 61
Adnan Seba Ba’ara, 72
At least 9 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Nablus
Israeli forces have killed at least nine Palestinians, including an elderly man and a teenager, after storming the Al-Souq Al-Sharqi area of Nablus in the northern West Bank on Wednesday.
Another 102 Palestinians were injured.
Israeli troops clashed with Palestinian fighters and civilians, as they fired live bullets and tear gas grenades at the civilians.
Palestinian civilians responded by throwing stones and bottles at the forces.