Egypt and Hamas strike deal to break Gaza siege
The deputy head of the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip has announced that Egypt has promised to break its siege on Gaza after 10 years.
During an Eid al-Fitr sermon in Gaza’s Saraya Square on Sunday, Khalil al-Hayya announced that a deal has been struck with Cairo to alleviate the suffering of the besieged costal enclave.
"We have found a large open gate and a warm welcome at our Egyptian brothers, and we are confident that Egypt's promise not to keep Gaza under siege will be implemented and that it will extend its hands to break it, amid the Palestinian Authority’s attempts to tighten the chokehold on Gaza," al-Hayya said.
|— Ben White (@benabyad) June 25, 2017
" style="color:#fff;" class="twitter-post-link" target="_blank">Twitter Post
On June 12, a delegation of Hamas leaders returned to the Gaza Strip from Cairo after a week-long visit, during which they met with officials of the Egyptian intelligence service to strike a deal to alleviate the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza.
Basic provisions in Gaza have waned significantly after the Ramallah based Palestinian Authority asked Israel to cut electricity to Gaza in May, putting Hamas-run Gaza in a desperate position.
A strategic alliance was formed with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas’ ousted PA rival Mohammed Dahlan and Hamas, to help facilitate negotiations between Gaza and Cairo.
Al-Hayya confirmed last week that Hamas have been meeting with Dahlan for the purpose and said that Hamas have not been keeping the talks secret.