Dozens killed in bombardment on rebel-held Aleppo
Early on Monday morning, multiple air raids – believed to be Russian – killed 10 civilians in the rebel-held Atareb town, the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Footage showed the local civil defence unit attempting to put out a fire in the rubble of one collapsed building as civilians attempted to search for medicine from what seemed to be the remains of a pharmacy.
Meanwhile, six others were killed in government barrel bombs in the east of the city.
The monitor – which relies on a network of sources inside Syria for its information – said the death toll was expected to rise because of the number of people with injuries and still trapped under the debris.
The news follows earlier airstrike on Syria’s Aleppo that hit four makeshift hospitals and a local blood bank.
Sunday's bombardment killed a two-day-old baby in the children's hospital in a besieged eastern neighbourhood of Aleppo, the Independent Doctor's Association, a group of Syrian doctors that supports clinics in the city said.
The IDA said the four hospitals that were hit – the children's hospital, al-Bayan, al-Zahraa, and al-Daqaq – would all be going out of service "as a result of the escalating series of aerial attacks taking place against health facilities in Aleppo by Syrian and Russian warplanes".
The World Health Organisation said Syria was the most dangerous place for health care workers to operate last year, with 135 attacks on health facilities and workers in 2015.
In recent months, several hospitals have been damaged and medical staff killed in the densely populated eastern neighbourhoods of Aleppo city.
A hospital in the eastern Maadi neighbourhood was hit just eight days ago, wounding some of the staff and patients inside.
Once an economic hub, Aleppo has been divided between rebel and government control since 2012.
More than 280,000 people have been killed since Syria's conflict erupted in 2011, and millions have been forced to flee.