Amnesty urges Sudanese military to halt ‘unnecessary force’ against protests
Security forces in the country have been escalating violence against protesters who have been demonstrating against a military coup that derailed the country’s transition to civilian rule.
Two protesters were killed in the city of Omdurman on Saturday, bringing the total death of protesters toll to 11.
“At least six men were shot dead in cold blood and hundreds injured, some critically, simply for exercising their right to peaceful assembly. This is unconscionable and must not be allowed to happen again,” said Deprose Muchena, Amnesty International’s Regional Director for East and Southern Africa, referring to deaths earlier this week.
“Sudan’s military leaders, led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, must make no mistake about it: the world is watching and will not tolerate further bloodshed. They must order effective and independent investigations into Monday’s killings and ensure that anyone suspected of responsibility for arbitrary or abusive force is prosecuted in fair trials. They must also direct their security forces to desist from using such force at any future protests.”
The military on Monday detained Sudan's civilian leadership, dissolved the government and declared a state of emergency, leading to a chorus of international condemnation.
Street protests erupted against the coup, triggering a crackdown by the security forces that has left dead at least eight demonstrators and wounded around 170.
Gamal Abdel Nasir, 23, was killed near the army headquarters in Khartoum, and his brother told Amnesty International: “I couldn’t even look at his body. His face was mutilated beyond recognition. He loved his country very much and he was my only brother.”