Skip to main content

Fate of 'Little Hind' still unknown after almost one week

Fate of Palestinian girl 'Little Hind' still unknown after almost one week
2 min read
05 February, 2024
The fate of Hind, a Palestinian girl targeted in a car by Israeli tanks, is still unknown almost one week after an ambulance was called in to rescue her.
Calls and appeals for Hind's return have not stopped since her disappearance over 140 hours ago [Getty/file photo]

The fate of the six-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Hamadeh remains unknown, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said on Sunday, almost one week since she was last contacted.

Little Hind, as the young Palestinian girl has become known, disappeared alongside two PRSC ambulance workers who went to rescue her last week after Israeli tanks targeted the car she and her family were traveling in.

The fate of the ambulance workers, Yousef Zeino and Ahmed Al-Madhoun, is also unknown but there are fears about their safety.

"Where is Hind? Where are Yousef and Ahmed? Are they still alive? We want to know their fate?", the NGO said in a post on X on Sunday.

The post was accompanied by hashtags such as "#Save_Hind" #WhereAre_Ahmed_and_Yousef" and "NotATarget".

The PRCS has been instrumental in rescuing wounded Palestinians in Gaza amid Israel’s brutal military onslaught, which has killed over 27,300 Palestinians as of Sunday.

Hind’s grandfather on Sunday made an urgent appeal calling on international institutions, the Red Crescent, and human rights bodies to find the missing six-year-old.

He said the family has been unable to eat and drink due to worry, fearing Hind may not be able to withstand the cold in Gaza, or survive the lack of food and water, trapped among dead bodies.

On Saturday, PRCS spokesperson Nibal Farsakh appealed to the international community to help protect civilians and healthcare workers, in an interview with Al Jazeera Mubasher.

"We went through many difficult cases, but the calls for help of a child who had not yet completed her sixth year and the moments of terror she experienced cannot be described at all," Farsakh added.

Hind stayed for more than three hours, repeating: "Come and take me, I am afraid," the spokesperson stated. 

"Nothing can describe the tragedy that this child experienced."