Two Palestinian teenagers killed by Israeli forces following settler shooting

Two Palestinian teenagers killed by Israeli forces following settler shooting
Two Palestinians have been killed as violent clashes erupt across the West Bank and Gaza, after Israeli forces enforced a crackdown following Wednesday's fatal shooting of an Israeli settler.
3 min read
11 January, 2018
Live ammunition was used by Israeli forces as clashes turned deadly [Getty]
Two Palestinian teenagers have been shot and killed by Israeli forces in separate incidents on Thursday afternoon, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, during a day of sustained clashes as anger erupts over US President Donald Trump's recent Jerusalem declaration and a deadly gun attack.

The first victim was identified as 16-year-old Amir Abdel Hamid Abu Musaid, who was shot in the chest by Israeli forces near the border fence east of the al-Bureij Refugee Camp in central Gaza, following protests against Trump's controversial recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

The Israeli army said dozens of Palestinians were involved in "riots" along the border, throwing stones and burning tyres. The statement said two other Palestinians were injured in the clashes.

It said it shot at three who "put our forces in danger".

The second victim, also 16 years old, has been named as Ali Omar Qadoos, who was killed by a bullet wound to the head, sustained during clashes with Israeli forces in the village of Arak Burin, south of Nablus.

Violent clashes have erupted across the West Bank and Gaza following a security crackdown on Wednesday after Israeli rabbi Raziel Shevah was killed in a drive-by-shooting in the controversial Havat Gilad settlement, by suspected Palestinian gunmen.

The incident occured in the hard-line settlement outpost in the northern occupied West Bank. The outpost, which has not been authorised by the Israeli authorities, frequently sees tensions between hard-line ideological Israeli settlers and Palestinians.

Past attempts by Israeli authorities to evacuate Havat Gilad have led to clashes with settlers there. Some 50 families currently live in the outpost.

Since Wednesday's incident, the Israeli military have been undertaking a man hunt for the yet unknown assailants,  setting up roadblocks, checkpoints and sealing off many villages in the occupied West Bank.

"The review of the incident is ongoing. Based on situation assessments, it was decided to reinforce the area with additional forces," the Israeli military said in a statement on Wednesday.

In the wake of the security crackdown, multiple clashes have been sparked between Palestinian youths and Israeli soldiers, both in the Nablus region and further afar.

Israeli forces have reportedly fired rubber bullets, tear gas and live ammunition at Palestinian protesters in numerous clashes on Thursday afternoon.

Three Israeli soldiers were reportedly injured after being hit by stones in the village of Hizma, northeast Jerusalem during ongoing clashes.

It has also been reported by Israeli sources that three girls were arrested at the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron on Thursday afternoon for allegedly carrying knives.

Sixteen Palestinians and an Israeli have been killed since Trump's December 6 decision, which angered Palestinians who see Jerusalem as their capital.

Fourteen of the Palestinians were killed in clashes, while two were killed in an Israeli air strike on Gaza in response to rocket fire.

It was unclear whether the gun attack on the Israeli or Thursday's shooting death of the Palestinian near Nablus were related to Trump's declaration.