Israeli forces shoot 7 in West Bank raid after east Jerusalem shooting
Seven Palestinians were injured in an Israeli army operation in the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian health ministry said on Tuesday, hours after two Israeli men were injured by gunfire near a Jewish site in annexed east Jerusalem.
The shooting comes amid a period of deadly attacks and military raids across the West Bank that have risen exponentially since Netanyahu's extremist right-wing coalition came to power.
The Palestinian ministry reported six people with "minor injuries from live fire" had gone to Jenin governmental hospital, while another person shot had been admitted to a nearby hospital following the raid in the northern West Bank city.
Israel has carried out near-daily deadly raids on towns in the West Bank since March, with over 100 Palestinians killed since the beginning of 2023, when a hard-right Israeli government came to power.
The cities of Jenin and Nablus have been frequent targets of Israeli raids.
A statement from the Israeli military confirmed that an operation was underway in the Jenin refugee camp, without giving further details.
Earlier Tuesday, Israeli authorities said a suspected Palestinian gunman had wounded two Israeli men in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood of east Jerusalem after firing at their car.
"Police officers are at the scene conducting searches for the suspect who fled," the police said in a statement.
Israeli security forces closed off streets in the neighbourhood, where an AFP journalist saw officers entering a Palestinian home, with a drone and helicopter as well as police dogs aiding the search.
At least 96 Palestinians, 19 Israelis, one Ukrainian and one Italian, according to an AFP count based on Israeli and Palestinian official sources.
These figures include, on the Palestinian side, combatants and civilians, including minors, and on the Israeli side, mostly civilians, including minors, and three members of the Arab minority.