Imprisoned Palestinian Mohammed Allan regains consciousness
A Palestinian detainee who has been on hunger strike for more than two months emerged from a coma earlier today.
On waking, Mohammed Allen received a briefing on his health before rejecting Israel's offer to release him if he agrees to be sent into exile for four years, confirmed Israeli reports.
Palestinian sources said Allan then gave the Israeli government 24 hours to release him and has threatened to refuse minerals, vitamins and medicines if he is not released.
Dr Chezy Levy, medical director of the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon where Allan is receiving treatment, said doctors at his hospital are bound by Allan's wishes.
He said they would respect his decision to continue his hunger strike, but that Allan's health was liable to seriously deteriorate at any moment.
Allan awoke after Israeli intelligence and prison authorities decided to gradually reduce the dosage of sedatives he was given, said his lawyer, Jamil al-Khatib, yesterday.
They wanted him to regain consciousness today so that he could negotiate the terms of his release.
Yesterday, Israel offered to free Allan but only if he goes abroad for four years. His lawyer immediately dismissed the demand.
The proposal was made by the justice ministry ahead of a hearing tomorrow at Israel's top court over whether to release Mohammed Allan, 31.
Yesterday, Israel delayed the hearing until Wednesday despite Allan being unconsious and reports he was close to death.
Allan, who is a lawyer, lapsed into a coma on Friday after going on hunger strike on 18 June in protest against his administrative detention.
This means the state has the right to lock up a suspect without trial for between six months and three years or more.
|Allan's battle is not personal it is a battle on behalf of the entire Palestinian people.|
This news came before the release of a statement today by the Palestinian Prisoners' Club, the Palestinian Prisoners' Affairs Committee, and the Palestinian Bar Association saying they would boycott Israeli military courts on Wednesday in protest of Allan's continuing incarceration.
The three institutions also called on the families of Palestinian prisoners not to attend Israeli courts.
Head of the legal unit of the Prisoners' Club, Jawad Boulos, said he had been denied access to Allan, and only a Red Cross medical doctor had been allowed to visit him.
Head of the Commission of Palestinian Prisoners and Detainees Issa Qaraqe said today that Palestinians, alongside local and international human rights groups, are increasing pressure on Israel to release Allan.
Qaraqe, told al-Araby al-Jadeed at a sit-in staged by families of Palestinian detainees outside the Red Cross office in Ramallah, that Palestinian institutions including President Mahmoud Abbas' office are leading the efforts to secure his release.
He said the hearing on Wednesday would serve as a test for the Israeli justice system.
The Palestinian official said that Israel must release Allan and let him return home to his village, Einabus, south of Nablus, instead of banishing him for four years at the request of Israeli intelligence.
The Palestinian side categorically rejects the suggestion of exile, he said.
Allan's battle is not personal, Qarage argued, it is a battle on behalf of the entire Palestinian people against the Israeli practice of administrative detention.