Gaza emerges from third Israeli telecoms, internet blackout in a month
Telecommunication and internet services began gradually returning to the war-battered Gaza Strip on Monday morning after the third blackout by Israel since it began bombarding the enclave a month ago.
"We would like to announce the gradual return of communication services (fixed, mobile, and Internet) in various areas of the Strip, after they were disconnected from the Israeli side," telecommunications company Paltel said in a statement.
It was unclear whether services had returned to the entirety of the Gaza Strip or only certain regions.
Paltel warned on Sunday that all telecommunications in Gaza will shut off in a week due to a lack of fuel, as Israel maintains a total siege on the enclave that it imposed after beginning its latest ruthless bombing campaign on the territory that has so far killed over 10,000 people.
Israel began its latest bombardment of Gaza on 7 October, after Hamas launched a surprise attack on 7 October that killed 1,400 Israelis following months of deadly raids in the occupied West Bank and a 15-year blockade.
Israel began allowing aid to enter Gaza through the Rafah border crossing, but only a fraction of what is needed for the enclave's population of over 2 million.
On 27 October, Israel cut off all telecommunications in the Gaza Strip for 36 hours as it pounded the territory. Last Wednesday, there was a 12-hour blackout.
Gaza’s telecommunications minister had previously appealed to Egypt to activate the roaming service and operate communication stations near the Palestinian enclave to help when Israel cuts off services.
Severe fuel shortages have not only threatened Gaza’s internet and telecommunication services but have also forced at least 16 hospitals in the enclave to shut down completely, the general director of hospitals in Gaza said Monday morning.
Water and medical supplies are also quickly running out.