Flash floods kill at least 14 in Turkish quake zone
Flash floods killed at least 14 people living in tents and container housing across Turkey's quake-hit region on Wednesday, piling more pressure on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ahead of crunch elections.
Several more people were swept away by the rushing water, which turned streets into muddy rivers in areas hit by last month's 7.8-magnitude quake, officials said.
More than 48,000 people died in Turkey and nearly 6,000 in Syria in the February 6 disaster, the region's deadliest in modern times.
Hundreds of thousands of Turkish quake survivors have been moved into tents and container homes across the disaster region, which covers 11 provinces across Turkey's southeast.
Torrential rains hit the area on Tuesday and the weather service expects them to last until late Wednesday.
In one viral video, a man dressed in a beige suit and tie reaches out for help while floating down a surging stream alongside a piece of furniture. His fate remains unknown.
Other images showed people pulling victims out of the water with branches and rope.
The Sanliurfa governor's office said the flooding also reached the ground floor of one of the region's main hospitals.
Facing a difficult re-election on May 14, Erdogan is confronting a furious public backlash over his government's stuttering response to the biggest natural disaster of his two-decade rule.
Erdogan has issued several public apologies while also stressing that no nation could have dealt quickly with a disaster of such scale.
Erdogan has spent the past few weeks touring the region, meeting survivors and promising to rebuild the entire area within a year.