British citizen dies of rabies in Morocco after being bitten by infected cat

British citizen dies of rabies in Morocco after being bitten by infected cat
2 min read
12 November, 2018
An unidentified British citizen died in Morocco after it caught rabies from a cat.
Cats can pass on rabies [Getty]

A British citizen has died after being struck with rabies after being bitten by a cat whilst in Morocco, UK health officials have said.

Public Health England (PHE) revealed the death of the Brit, but no further information was provided on the precise location of the case or of the victim.

Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisations at the health body, said: "This is an important reminder of the precautions people should take when travelling to countries where rabies is present.

"If you are bitten, scratched or licked by an animal you must wash the wound or site of exposure with plenty of soap and water and seek medical advice without delay."

The revelation of the case was issued alongside a renewed warning to travellers as to the risk of the potentially morbid disease.

Rabies is described by the PHE as a "very serious viral infection" of the brain and nerves.

All mammals can carry rabies but it's most common in dogs, cats, foxes, bats, raccoons, jackals and mongooses.

A rabid animal can spread its infection if they bite or scratch another mammal or, in rare cases, if they lick an open wound or their saliva gets into the victim’s mouth or eyes.

It can initially be a silent killer because of credulous symptoms such as high temperature, a headache, anxiety and discomfort around the infected area that was bitten.

Within a matter of days, more apparent features appear such as paralysis, hallucinations, foaming at the mouth and difficulty swallowing and breathing.