Boosted by Trump's withdrawal decision, IS 'counter-attacks in Syria'
IS terrorrists "are launching currently counter-attacks on Hajin town, which mean that they got high morals from US descison to withdraw from Syria," Mustafa Bali tweeted on Friday.
"#ISIS is still strong in the region," he added.
The US-backed Kurdish-led SDF reaptured Hajin last week, after days of intense battles with the militants. It was the last major enclave held by the Islamic State group in eastern Syria.
Reports on Friday morning suggested reinforcements were being rushed to the area by the US-led international anti-IS coalition, despite the withdrawal decision.
"A convoy of twenty trucks arrived on Thursday evening to a coalition base in Hajin....carrying fuel and engineering equipment," Mohammed al-Jizrawi, a local activist, told The New Arab.
The reinforcements were sent as clashes flared up between the SDF and IS near the town, the activist added. This was later confirmed by the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which said the reinforcements to Deir az-Zour province came from coalition bases in Iraqi Kurdistan.
In an announcement that appeared to take Syria's Kurds by surprise, US President Donald Trump on Wednesday declared victory over IS in Syria and announced a full troop pull-out.
"We've won against ISIS," Trump, said using another acronym for the jihadist group, in a short video posted on social media.
The decision runs counter to long-established US policy for Syria and the region. It blindsided lawmakers, the Pentagon and international allies alike.On Thursday, SDF officials warned the Syria troop pull-out announced by the White House could allow the Islamic State group to rebuild.
With agency input.
Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab